Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rosson Family Update

Just a quick update on the family and our happenings. I (Tom) left Germany yesterday and arrived in Moscow early this morning. I crawled into my bed at the seminary at 4 am. My trip came on the day after nothing but headaches from computers (my laptop bit the dust) and cars (a routine oil job led to bad news about brakes, tires, shock absorbers and V-ribbed belt).

The flights went well. However, while catching my connecting flight in Moscow, I received word that Brianna been injured as a neighbor accidentally drove over her foot. Fortunately, our niece and nephew are staying with us, witnessed the accident, and notified Claudia immediately. After inspecting her Brianna's foot, Claudia opted not to run immediately to the hospital, but to observe it overnight. This morning, Brianna was able to walk to school.

Claudia and I had a good laugh about it. For whatever reasons, things types of things (Brianna's foot, or Kevin's breaking two teeth, etc.) always seem to happen when I'm away from home. And if I stay home....just stay holed up in my home office....nothing bad ever happens to the kids ;-\

Colin and Kevin are doing well. although each have their challenges in school. Colin had an English test on Monday. (Keep in mind that they attend German schools, but he started school in the States and we speak English at home). Getting an "A" on an English test has proved to be elusive. Sometimes it's because of the British English that is taught here. But sometimes it's ill-fated logic.

Monday's banal example: "What is the opposite of 'to learn'?" Flustered, Colin gave no answer and then asked the teacher after the test. What to hear the answer? 'To teach." (The logical conclusion is that Colin's teacher has stopped learning. Right?)

Kevin , who speaks better English than his twin brother, also has his problems with his class, but for a different reason. Kevin is simply frustrated that the English language isn't flexible enough for multiple spellings based on the way the word sounds. ;-)

No comments: