Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Slice of Americana

Yesterday I spent the day traveling to US Consulate in Frankfurt in order to renew a passport. Although it is always a hassle to make the trip (125 miles one-way) and work through bureaucratic forms and procedures, I always enjoy the chance to experience a little bit of America. Not only is there the Consulate in Frankfurt, but there used to be a sizable US military presence in the city; and Frankfurt is the economic center of the German economy.

Some impressions from the day
  • I take the train from Rudersberg to Frankfurt. The stretch between Stuttgart and Frankfurt was on the ICE (InterCity Express). We traveled at a meager 250 km/h (ca 155 mph).
  • The consulate personnel was professional, yet friendly and warm. (This is not always the case with German governmental offices). I was finished within an hour, which is pretty fast for this sort of thing.
  • For lunch I found Kentucky Friend Chicken - complete with coleslaw and Pepsi
  • Went back to the train station and waited at the local Starbucks - vanilla bean frappuccino and NYC cheese cake.
Okay, I probably spent more than I should have at Starbucks. But something like this comes only once a year or so. When did you last go to Starbucks?

No comments: